Skip to main content

Department of Sociology, Anthropology & Social Work
MSW Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a bachelor's degree in social work to apply?

No. The MSW program is designed for students from all backgrounds.

What is the GPA requirement?

The recommended undergraduate GPA is 3.0. Applications with less than a 3.0 can provide an additional explanation with the application.

Is the GRE required?

No. The GRE is NOT required unless your GPA is below. 3.0.

Am I required to submit a recommendation from a former professor?

Yes, the admission committee is looking for at least one academic recommendation.

When are applications due?

Applications are due depending on when you want to begin the program. Fall start applications are due May 1.  Summer start applications are due February 1 (Advanced Standing only). Online applications are due June 1.

Can I apply for early admission?

Yes. There is an early admission review for all program options. Fall admission early review is March 1. Summer Advanced Standing early review is December 1. Online program early admission is March 1.

I have completed my online application. Why is it showing incomplete?

Your application may show incomplete because you were not required to submit a GRE.

Who do I contact if I am having technical difficulties with the apply yourself application system?

If you are having issues with the application system, please contact the Auburn University Graduate School at (334) 844-4700 and/or

Is “advanced standing” offered?

Yes. Advanced standing is available to students who hold a Bachelor of Social Work from an institution accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.

Do you have a part-time program?

Yes. There are part-time options for both the traditional and advanced standing program. Example plans of study:

Is the program online?

Yes, there is an online option available.

When are classes offered?

On-campus classes are typically offered on Monday and Wednesday. Course times vary but are usually 1:00–3:30 pm and 4:00–6:30 pm. Online classes are primarily asynchronous.

When can I start the MSW program?

Advanced standing students can begin in fall or summer. Traditional students may enroll in fall. Online students may enroll in fall.

What classes are offered?

A list of social work classes can be found in the Auburn Bulletin. Scroll past the anthropology courses to see all approved social work course.

What is the cost of tuition?

A tuition calculator can be found here. The MSW program is a graduate program in the College of Liberal Arts.

Do you offer scholarships or other aid?

Yes. Information about financial aid offered through Auburn University including scholarships, grants, and loans can be found here.

The Graduate School also offers a number of scholarships and fellowships for graduate students; information on each opportunity can be found here.

Finally, the MSW program offers a limited number of graduate research assistantships (GRA). If you are interested in a GRA position, please apply during the admissions process.