Communication Application Essay Tips
These tips are for applying to the Communication major only.
Please read the following carefully to ensure this is the major for you. You should also review
the COMM website and review COMM course descriptions (available in the AU Bulletin and on the COMM Course Description webpage).
Students who are accepted into the Communication program are interested in the study of human
communication. The Communication program provides students with a comprehensive understanding of the nature of communication in order to prepare them with the knowledge and skills to live and work
in a diverse and complex society. Our goal is to provide students with the knowledge to understand
and the skills needed to enrich their human interactions in different contexts. Topics covered in
our courses include: small group communication, conflict, interpersonal communication, message
preparation, and leadership. Our graduates hold a range of positions, including: medical device
sales, social event coordinator, human resource manager, communication coordinator, nonprofit
director, attorney, content developer, patient advocate, and legislative aide, to name just a few.
If you are unsure if Communication is the major for you, we invite you to explore our other majors
– Public Relations, Journalism, or Media Studies – by visiting the School of Communication and
Journalism’s webpage, or by speaking with the COMM advisor, Ms. Sarah Henry at email@example.com, or the Associate Director of Communication, Dr. Debra Worthington, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your 250 Word Essay Should Address the Following
- What position, type of position, or general career area do you hope to work in upon graduation?
- Based on what you have learned thus far, and your current knowledge of the job/field you plan to pursue, what communication skills or knowledge do you believe you will need to learn or improve upon to get or advance in this position/area? (Your response should demonstrate an understanding of the nature of our program and its focus on human communication and message design).
- What 2000 & 3000 level COMM classes have you taken or would you like take to help you achieve your professional goals? How do you believe these courses will help you reach your goals? (You may list by course name or number; course descriptions are available in the AU bulletin and on the COMM webpage)
- What 4000/5000 level courses (besides the internship) would you like take to help you achieve your professional goals? How do you believe these courses will help you reach your goals? (You may list by course name or number; course descriptions are available in the AU bulletin and on the COMM webpage).
- Once your essay is completed, proof it carefully, then carefully follow instructions provided on the CMJN application webpage.
Last Updated: October 02, 2018