Sigma Delta Pi: Sociedad Nacional Honoraria Hispánica (National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society)
Follow Us on Instagram!
Call for Applications for Sigma Delta Pi National Spanish Honorary Society
Fall Semester 2020 - Special Induction Ceremony
Firm deadline for online application submission is Wednesday, September 30.
The special fall 2020 induction ceremony will be conducted virtually via Zoom. Inductees and members will receive a Zoom link to attend the ceremony on Wednesday, October 7th at 5:00 pm. Inductees must arrive on time and be present throughout the closed ceremony in order to enter the organization. No exceptions. Any schedule conflicts should be cleared before application submission. This next ceremony will not take place until Spring 2021. For more information, please contact Dr. Jana Gutiérrez Kerns, the advisor for Sigma Delta Pi, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or the current President, Fran Cantero Soriano, at email@example.com.
- Before completing the application, read the requirements for membership to verify that you qualify for induction. Click here to access the National Sigma Delta Pi requirements. Important requirements for members include the following: *a minimum GPA of 3.0 in all FLSP courses, * a minimum 3.2 cumulative GPA, *current enrollment or prior completion of a civilization or literature course, such as FLSP 3080, 3100, 3120, 3130, 3140, 3210, or 3220. Should you have questions regarding the appropriate course equivalents, please consult with Dr. Gutiérrez Kerns, the Sigma Delta Pi advisor.
- Click here to access and print an Application. With this application, please submit (a) an unofficial copy of your complete AU course transcript, and (b) the completed application form. DO NOT SUBMIT PAYMENT FEE with application; fees must be paid in full prior to induction but will be collected separately through Venmo. ONLY COMPLETED APPLICATIONS WITH TRANSCRIPT WILL BE PROCESSED. All items should be submitted electronically to Dr. Gutiérrez Kerns at firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon notification of acceptance, you will be provided additional instructionsa for Venmo payment of membership fee and the Zoom link for the remote induction ceremony.
- Your payment includes the ceremony cost, the national membership dues, a member's pin, and a certificate. The fee does not include graduation cords or stoles; however, both can be purchased after the induction at https://honorgrads.com (honor cord $6.50, pageant stole $35).
- Turn in completed applications including transcript electronically by Wednesday, September 30, 2020 to email@example.com. Due to Covid-19 restrictions, only electronic applications will be accepted and no late applications will be accepted, since materials are mailed to the National Office and processed well prior to the ceremony.
- All initiates should attend the Wednesday, October 7th induction ceremony starting at 5:00pm and ending approximately an hour later. Those who cannot participate in the induction ceremony must make alternative arrangements with Dr. Gutiérrez Kerns to activate their membership and receive their member pin and certificate of initiation.
- Please dress appropriately for the induction ceremony. The recommended attire is modest, business casual with proper footwear. Due to the secret nature of the 101-year-old ritual, initiates and members should secure a private location sans interruption for entire ceremony. No recordings will be permitted. Pins and certificates will be distributed to new initiates through campus mail or USPS mail.