NOTICE: As we continue to follow state and university health guidelines to protect everyone during this time, we will be hosting virtual auditions and callbacks for two productions in the Fall Semester of 2020. Please read the entirety of this information to make sure you submit your audition correctly. All times listed are in Central Standard Time.
About the production:
Due to the current safety and health parameters in place at Auburn related to Covid-19 as well as the projected trajectory of the pandemic across at least the first couple months of the spring semester, plans to perform a staged concert version of Ragtime at the Gogue center simply cannot happen as originally conceived. In the place of Ragtime, Chase Bringardner will direct (along with Jamie Mablin as Musical Director & Jeri Dickey as Choreographer) a fully staged cabaret performance entitled: New Day Dawning: Finding Hope at the Theatre.
Auditions will be submitted digitally, and callbacks will take place via Zoom.
To help make this process go as smoothly as possible, please follow the directions below. If you have any further questions or issues, contact email@example.com.
Please visit the following link to complete your audition form:
Once you have submitted your audition, there will be a final message which includes a link to upload your video(s). You must complete both of these tasks (the form and upload your video(s)) by midnight central time on Wednesday, November 18th to be considered as auditioning.
Those auditioning should prepare the following:
Those auditioning should prepare a full legit musical theatre song that means something to you and shows off your best vocal qualities and ability to connect emotionally with material and/or tell a story with music. A backing track of some sort for your song is required -- no a capella singing.
If you have questions for difficulty, please contact Chase (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For those auditioning who are interested in being cast in a dance number, please submit an additional dance video following Jeri Dickey's dance routine. The dance routine can be found here: https://youtu.be/bqsnYZkHyQw This is not a requirement to audition. If you choose to submit a dance audition, you will upload this, along with your song, to the link provided after submitting your audition application.
***Here are some tips for filming your audition:
- A smartphone, tablet, or webcam should be adequate quality to film your audition. Please let us know if technology will be an issue for you.
- Use a neutral backdrop. A blank wall is perfect, or pin a neutral, solid bed sheet to a wall. Keep the space around you simple and clutter-free.
- Find a quiet room, with the TV off, your phone silenced, and windows shut, and let anyone else in the house or apartment know that you need some quiet time to film.
- If available, use natural light from a window, or a light you can direct towards you instead of an overhead light that will create shadows.
- Include your name, the title of the play/musical, and the playwright (or songwriter) in your slate at the beginning of your video.
- Please be sure the camera includes at least 75% of your body (preferably your full body) in the frame.
- Set a time limit for yourself of how long you will spend taping your audition. Don’t overthink it. Be as prepared as possible when you start taping so that you do not waste time messing up lines. You can do two or three takes, since that is what this medium allows for, but don’t spend hours trying to get it perfect. Get one good video, and upload it.
- Watch your video before uploading it. Be sure your audio is clear and at an appropriate level. Make sure it looks good and is in focus.
- Look your best. Treat it like a real audition (because it is!). Make yourself camera ready, and make sure you are well-rested.
- Relax and have fun. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to practice self-taping an audition, and the great thing about self-taping is you can do it until you get it right. Make it as professional as you can, but also know that this is something new for all of us.
We want to be sure no audition is overlooked during this process. To ensure this, we will be sending out confirmations once we have received all portions of your audition. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 2 business days of completing your audition requirements (both completing the form and uploading your video), please reach out to email@example.com so that this can be addressed.
So, as a recap, to complete your audition, you must complete BOTH of the following items by midnight central time on Wednesday, November 18th:
- Complete an audition form at https://auburn.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_b8bc7VhE7K19egl
- Upload your video to the link provided at the end of the form. Those auditioning should prepare a full legit musical theatre song that means something to you and shows off your best vocal qualities and ability to connect emotionally with material and/or tell a story with music. A backing track of some sort for your song is required -- no a capella singing.
- If you are interested in being in the dance number, also submit a dance video following Jeri Dickey's dance routine. This is not a requirement to audition; only for students who are interested in being in the cast in the dance number.
- If you do not receive a confirmation email within 2 business days of submitting both portions of your audition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your materials have been received.
Callbacks will take place over Zoom
Sunday, November 22nd from 6:00 pm-10:00 pm.
Please let us know if you are unable to make the callback night due to scheduling. Once all submitted audition videos and forms are reviewed, a callback list will go out to everyone that auditioned and will include the information needed to complete callbacks.
We want to make sure anyone who is interested in an audition, has everything they need in order to submit a successful audition. If you need any technical assistance or audition material questions, please reach out to Chase Bringardner at email@example.com
Thank you to everyone for your patience during this new and exciting process. Break a leg!
Keep up to date with all the going on at the Telfair Peet Theatre on our Facebook page -- Auburn University Theatre.
Last Updated: November 03, 2020