Associate Professor, Health Administration Program Director
7072 Haley Center
Cathleen Erwin is an associate professor in the Department of Political Science and serves as the program director for Health Services Administration (HADM). She holds a Ph.D. in Administration-Health Services from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, as well as an M.B.A. from Auburn University Montgomery and B.A. from Auburn University. Prior to joining the faculty at Auburn in 2010, Dr. Erwin spent more than twenty-five years working in the fields of administration, development, public relations and communications for nonprofit health care, higher education and arts organizations. She has taught a variety of courses in the HADM program, including health care organizational development, insurance and reimbursement, health information technology, leadership, and healthcare quality management.
Dr. Erwin has been honored with Teaching Excellence Award from the Auburn University College of Liberal Arts (2014) and the Auburn University Mortar Board Excellence in Teaching Award (2017). She is a past president and active member of the Alabama Health Executives Forum, the officially-designated state chapter of the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE). She is currently an appointed member of the executive committee for the Health Care Management division of the Academy of Management, serves on the Undergraduate Program Committee for the Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA), and is treasurer for the Governance section of the Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA).
- “Organization of care,” in J. K. Knickman and B. Elbel (Eds.) Jonas and Kovner’s Health Care Delivery in the United States (12th ed.), forthcoming (2018)
- “Effective governance and hospital boards revisited: Reflections on 25 years of research,” in Medical Care Research and Review (2018)
- “Utilization of websites for fundraising by NCI-designated cancer centers: An application of a dialogic communications framework,” in Health Marketing Quarterly (2016)
- “Organizational characteristics associated with fundraising performance of nonprofit hospitals,” in Journal of Health Care Management (2015)
- “Perspectives on multidisciplinary team processes among healthcare executives: Processes that facilitate team effectiveness,” in Journal of Health and Human Services Administration (2015)
- “Capacity management in emergency departments – a systematic literature review,” in Journal of Health Care Management (2015)
Last Updated: July 24, 2018