MS in Economics Degree Requirements
To earn an MS degree and remain in good academic standing a student must:
- Complete a minimum of 30 credit hours of course work, including required courses in micro and macroeconomic theory, econometrics and field courses.
- Maintain a minimum of 3.0 GPA.
- (Masters) Pass comprehensive exams in micro and macroeconomic theory in the first summer.
- (Masters) Pass comprehensive exams in econometrics in the following winter.
Required Core Courses
Masters students must complete the following nine core courses and one field course (a total of 30 credit hours) in the first three semesters Transferring credit hours from other peer institutions is allowed only in exceptional cases.
First Semester (fall)
- Econ 7110 Microeconomic Theory I
- Econ 7210 Macroeconomic Theory I
- Econ 7310 Econometrics I
- Econ 7130 Mathematical Economics
Second Semester (spring)
- Econ 7120 Microeconomic Theory II
- Econ 7220 Macroeconomics Theory II
- Econ 7320 Econometrics II
Third Semester (fall)
- Econ 7330 Microeconometrics
- Econ 7340 Macroeconometrics
- One of the Field Courses (elective)