Skip to main content


What is an exchange program?

Student exchange programs allow you to enroll in regular university classes at a partner institution. They are ideal if you prefer to pay your regular Auburn tuition and fees, desire a higher level of independence and immersion into local cultures, want to plan your own excursions, and seek to make lifelong international contacts. Although duration varies, you can typically study overseas for one or two semesters.

To participate in a student exchange, you must be approved by the university, and studies undertaken overseas generally count towards your Auburn coursework.

If your program is faculty-led, you will receive Auburn credit. For programs that are not faculty-led, you will need approval from the individual department where the study abroad course is offered and from the Auburn Abroad office. You will receive transfer credit for all non-faculty led programs.

Exchange Programs