Office 2016 for Mac is Available to Install
Office 2016 for the Mac is available for Self-Install for Mac users in the College of Liberal Arts. Users can follow the directions below to (1) Uninstall Office 2011 (2) Install Office 2016 (3) Configure Office 2016 and (4) Update Office 2016 installing latest Software Updates.
Office 2016 is a major update to Office 2011. A review of Office 2016 is at Ars-Technica so you can determine if it is worthwhile for you. If you use Outlook as your primary Mail Client I recommend you update as Outlook 2016 is more stable than Outlook 2011. Office 2011 will continue to function for the foreseeable future.
Only computers that meet the requirements for Office 2016 will see the applications in Self-Service as shown in instructions below. If you have OS 10.11 (El Capitan) or 10.10 (Yosemite) installed and you do not see the icons as show below click the HOME button in Self Service. If you still do not see the icons, make certain you have the correct operating system by clicking About this Mac on the Apple logo in top left of your desktop screen. You can update your operating system to 10.11.1 by opening the App Store and selecting Updates.
- Open the CLA-iT Helpdesk application in the /Applications folder of your computer by double clicking on the icon. The Self-Service application will open and the Featured App is Remove Office 2011. Clicking this and then reading the instructions and clicking REMOVE OFFICE 2011l button will remove Office 2011 applications and settings from your computer. The Microsoft User Data folder is copied to the Desktop as a backup if needed. While the software is uninstalling remove old Office icons from your Dock.
- After Office 2011 uninstalls the software inventory of the computer will update and the computer will Restart. This may take a minute or two. After the restart a new icon appears in Self-Service. If the Install Office 2016 icon does not automatically appear run the policy named Force Inventory Update. Click the Install Office 2016 icon to begin the installation of the software.
- Progress bar for the installation. Unider normal conditions installation may take 5-8 minutes. Update: Based on reports if you are off campus this installation my take a half hour. Installation is complete when the progress is is blank. A notification will also appear informing you that installation is complete.
- Open the /Applications folder. The Office 2016 suite of programs -- Excel, OneNote, Outlook PowerPoint and Word is in /Applications. Drag each desired application to the Dock. Installation is complete.
- Setup: Open each application--Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook that you expect to use. Each application will begin a setup process. You are given the option to sign into your optional cloud storage account. This is the OneDrive for Business account that can be activated from the OIT page. If you have not activated OneDrive for Business you can still use Office 2016 choosing the Skip Sign In option. OneDrive for Business allows for document collaboration with other OneDrive for Business users. OneDrive for Business gives each user 1TB of cloud storage and collaboration features similar to DropBox. More information about OneDrive for Business is in an earlier blog post.
- If you choose to sign in to your OneDrive for Business cloud storage account follow the next screens. Sign in with your Auburn email address and password as shown only if you have previously activated OneDrive for Business. Choose Work Account when prompted.
- Finally the setup for each application is complete and you can start using the application.
- OUTLOOK USERS: Follow the prompts to connect to Exchange if you would like to use Outlook to manage your email. Other options for managing email continue to be Mac Mail and the Outlook Web Application through a browser.
- Click Add Account
- Click the icon for Exchange or Office 365 to setup your university email account
- Note the backslash as part of the User name. Use your GID in the place of crutcda below.
- Mail is now configured and messages should start appearing in your inbox. Manage contacts and calendars in Exchange using the tabbed list at the bottom of the window.
- Follow the prompts that update each application to make certain you have the latest, most bug-free version of the software.