Dean Aistrup's end of the year message
An end-of-the-year message from Dean Joseph Aistrup:
As we end the Fall 2017 semester, I wanted to update you on a few items from the CLA Dean’s Office.
• Congratulations to English graduate Melanie Barstad on receiving the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award from the Auburn Alumni Association. Melanie graduated in 1975 and had a successful career with Johnson & Johnson. A former president of the Women’s Leadership Institute, Melanie has been a long-time donor to the College of Liberal Arts and has served as a member of the Dean’s Advisory Council for many years.
• CLA increased its enrollment this fall by a little over 5%. This is our first increase in several years.
• CLA is launching a new career network in collaboration with the Auburn University Career Center. This initiative grew out of the Auburn Intern Housing Initiative, which our student council spearheaded last year. In addition to Washington, DC area alumni, CLA is reaching out to alumni in other locations to provide career advice and/or housing and assistance to students who may be interning or looking for employment in those areas.
• Simpson Scarborough is wrapping up the research phase of our rebranding and recruitment initiative. Simpson Scarborough recently presented their data to the CLA rebranding committee. The creative phase for how to market CLA’s Authentic Liberal Arts initiative to recruit first-year students will begin in early January.
• The “Because This Is Auburn” campaign ends on December 31, and I’m excited to report CLA exceeded its goal of $22.9 million with more than $30 million raised to date. We want to thank all of you for your generosity and thanks to our development team for all of their hard work.
To read about our alumni, students and faculty, be sure to review our 16th issue of the CLA annual magazine, Perspectives, which is now available here.
Finally, as we enter the season of giving, I encourage you to consider supporting a charity that is meaningful to you. Whether your preference is Auburn University, the United Way, or another organization, your financial support makes a difference in the ability of these charitable organizations to address societal issues. I encourage you to please be generous.
Thank you for all you do for CLA and AU. Happy holidays and here’s to a great 2018!
Joseph Aistrup, Dean
College of Liberal Arts
Last Updated: December 18, 2017