Sigma Delta Pi
Sociedad Nacional Honoraria Hispánica
(National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society)
"Spanías Didagéi Proágomen"
Call for Applications for Sigma Delta Pi National Spanish Honorary Society
Academic Year 2018-19 Induction
Firm deadline for application submission is Friday, March 22, 2019, 12:00 Noon.
The 2018-19 induction ceremony will be Thursday, April 11th at 4:45pm, in Eagle's Nest South, 10th floor of the Haley Center, with optional dinner following at 6:00pm. Inductees must arrive on time and be present throughout the closed ceremony in order to enter the organization. No exceptions. Any schedule conflicts should be cleared before application submission. The next ceremony will not take place until Spring 2020.
For more information, please contact Dr. Jana Gutiérrez Kerns, the advisor for Sigma Delta Pi, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 6064 Haley Center.
- Before completing the application, read the requirements for membership to verify that you qualify for induction. Click here to access the National Sigma Delta Pi requirements. Important requirements for members include the following: *a minimum GPA of 3.0 in all FLSP courses, * a minimum 3.2 cumulative GPA, *current enrollment or prior completion of a civilization or literature course, such as FLSP 3080, 3100, 3120, 3130, 3140, 3210, or 3220. Should you have questions regarding the appropriate course equivalents, please consult with Dr. Gutiérrez Kerns, the Sigma Delta Pi advisor.
- Click here to access and print an Application. With this application, please submit (a) a personal copy of your complete AU course transcript, printed by yourself (that is, not an official copy), and (b) a money order, written to Sigma Delta Pi, for $40.00, including your full name. Personal checks, credit card payments, or debit card payments cannot be accepted. Cash will be returned. Only complete applications with transcript and money order will be processed. Otherwise, materials will be returned. All items should be submitted in an envelope labeled with your full name and contact information.
- Your payment includes the ceremony cost, the national membership dues, a member's pin, and a certificate. The fee does not include graduation cords or stoles; however, both can be purchased after the induction at https://honorgrads.com (honor cord $6.50, pageant stole $35). The banquet dinner is optional and extra, and will be paid directly to the restaurant by each attending student.
- Turn in completed applications with money order and transcript in an envelope marked with your name and contact information to Dr. Gutiérrez Kerns by 12:oopm noon on Friday, March 22nd; her office is located at 6064 Haley Center. If you cannot directly give her your envelope, you may bring it during regular business hours to one of the administrative assistants, Ms. Edwards or Ms. Knight, in the main Dept. of Foreign Languages and Literatures office located in Haley 6030. No late applications will be accepted, since materials are mailed to the National Office and processed well prior to the ceremony.
- All initiates must attend the Thursday, April 11th at 4:45pm induction ceremony. Should you qualify for Sigma Delta Pi, but not be able to attend the ceremony for any reason, you will need to wait until the next induction, in the spring of 2020, and your money will not be returned.
- Please dress appropriately for the induction ceremony. The recommended attire is modest, business casual with proper footwear.
The Auburn University Hispanic Honorary Society Sigma Delta Pi’s Board for 2018-19:
From left to right: (a) Susannah C. Bland: Recruiter; (b) Audrey Olson: Treasurer; (c) Justin Nail: Secretary; (d) Emily Johnson: President; and Taylor Mackowski: Vice-President.
For more information
Last Updated: February 22, 2019
6054 Haley Center
Auburn University, AL 36849