Traci S. O'Brien
6030 Haley Center
2006, Ph.D., Graduate Center, City University of New York
Department and Other Appointments
Undergraduate Director, German
Research and Teaching Interests
German literature and culture of the nineteenth-century; women's writing; pedagogical focus: the development of Advanced-level speaking skills at the college level
- “‘Farben, die es auf dieser Welt nicht gibt’: Remembering Reality in Lenka Reinerová’s Late Prose.” New Perspectives on Contemporary Austrian Literature and Culture. Ed. Katya Krylova. Oxford, UK: Peter Lang, 2018: 347-72.
- “Note to Self? Postmodern Criminality and (Feminist) Consciousness in Eva Rossmann’s Freudsche Verbrechen.” Women in German Yearbook 31 (2015): 122-46.
- “Guidelines’ for Future Professionals: A Case for Graduate Training in Assessment.” Taking Stock of German Studies in the United States: The New Millennium. Eds. Carol Anne Costabile-Heming and Rachel J. Halverson. Rochester, NY and Suffolk, UK: Camden House, 2015: 226-48.
- “Full Steam Ahead!’ Technology, Mobility and Human Progress in Ottilie Assing’s Reports from America.” German Women Writers and the Spatial (Re)Turn: A New Perspective. Eds. Carola Daffner and Beth Muellner. Berlin/Boston: DeGruyter, 2015:21-39.
- “What’s In Your Bag? ‘Freudian Crimes‘ and Austria’s Nazi Past in Eva Rossmann’s Freudsche Verbrechen.” Tatort Germany: The Curious Case of German-Language Crime Fiction. Eds. Lynn Kutch and Todd Herzog. New Jersey: Camden House, 2014: 155-74.
- “A Progressive Traditionalist. Ernst Schönwiese as a Literary Critic.” Proceedings of the International Ernst Schönwiese Symposium. Ed. Robert Weigel. Francke: Tübingen, 2012: 63-89.
- Enlightened Reactions: Emancipation, Gender, and Race in German Women's Writing. Oxford, Bern, Berlin, Frankfurt a.M., New York, Vienna: Peter Lang, 2011.
- "'Bridging the Gap' Within a Class: Managing a Range of Proficiency Levels in a Third-Year German Course." Die Unterrichtspraxis/Teaching German. 42.2 (2009): 141-51.
- "A 'Daughter of the Occident' Travels to the 'Orient': Ida von Hahn-Hahn's Gräfin Faustine and Orientalische Briefe." Women in German Yearbook 24 (2008): 26-48.
- FLGR 3010, Beginning German Comp & Conver
- FLGR 3020, Intermadiate German Comp & Conver
- FLGR 3100, Introduction to German Literature
Last Updated: June 05, 2019
6030 Haley Center
Auburn University, AL 36849