Department of Foreign Languages & Literatures

Foreign Languages at Auburn University

(over 150 years old and still going strong)

UNIVERSITY NAME CHANGES:

  • East Alabama Male College (1856-72)
  • Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama (1872-99)
  • Alabama Polytechnic Institute (1899-1960)
  • Auburn University (1960)

DEPARTMENT NAME CHANGES:

  • Languages as subjects in the Courses of Study (1859-83)
  • School of Greek and Latin Langs. and Literatures (1871-72)
  • School of Modern Languages (1871-72)
  • Dept. of Ancient Languages and Literature (1883-84)
  • Dept. of Latin Language and History (1884-86)
  • Dept. of Modern Languages and English Literature (1884-86)
  • Dept. of Modern Languages and History (1886-91)
  • Dept. of English and Latin (1886-91)
  • Dept. of Modern Languages (1891-1922)
  • Dept. of History and Latin (1891-1922)
  • Dept. of Foreign Languages (1922-92)
  • Dept. of Foreign Languages and Literatures (1992)

LANGUAGES IN THE UNIVERSITY:

  • (1859) Latin and Greek are the original languages taught since the first day the University opened its doors. They are required in all four Courses of Study.
  • (1870) French, German and Spanish are taught for the first time.
  • (1926) Italian is offered on demand.
  • (1940) Portuguese is offered for the first time.
  • (1958) Russian is offered for the first time.
  • (1986) Japanese is offered for the first time.
  • (1986) Chinese is offered for the first time.
  • (2011) Global Cultures program is created.

EARLY PROFESSORS OF LANGUAGES*:

  • Atkinson, Thomas P. (1919-54): Head Professor of Modern Languages.
  • Andrews, James W. (1916-17): Assistant in History and Latin.
  • Barnwell, Charles H. (1889-92): Adjunct Professor of Modern Languages and History.
  • Boyd, Jesse W. (1901-02): Assistant in Latin and History.
  • Davis, William W. (1904-05): Assistant in History and Latin.
  • Denson, John V. (1905-06): Assistant in History and Latin.
  • Donahue, Michael J. (1905-06): Physical Director and Instructor of History and Latin.
  • Dowdell, James F. (1861-62): Professor of Latin Language and Literature.
  • Dunklin, John T. (1859-86): Professor of Ancient and Modern Languages.
  • Elizondo, Yndalicio A. (1916-18): Assistant in Spanish.
  • Faulkner, Thomas G. (1900-01): Acting Professor of Modern Languages.
  • Fleming, Walter S. (1886-87): Adjunct Professor of Modern Languages.
  • Frazer, T. H. (1884-86): Commandant and Instructor of Mathematics and Languages.
  • Harrison, William P. (1859-60): Adjunct Professor of Ancient Languages.
  • Herndon, Dallas T. (1907-08): Instructor in English, History and Latin.
  • Mell, P. H. (1879-80): Professor of Natural History and Modern Languages.
  • Miles, Thomas J. (1911-12): Assistant in History and Latin.
  • Petrie, George (1887-89): Adjunct Professor of Modern Languages and History; (1891-1942): Professor of History and Latin.**
  • Reynolds, Alfred W. (1913-25): Instructor of History and Latin.
  • Ross, Charles H. (1892-1900): Professor of Modern Languages and English.
  • Stubbs, William C. (1970-71): Professor of Modern Languages.
  • Thach, Charles C. (1879-1902): Professor of Modern Languages and English Literature.
  • Thach, Charles C.Jr. (1912-13): Assistant in Latin.
  • Walker, Jacob A. (1908-11): Instructor of History and Latin.
  • Walker, John E. (1910-11): Assistant in History and Latin.
  • Wiatt, John E. (1900-18): Professor of Modern Languages and English.

*In the University's first decade there were only six professors and two instructors; in the second decade there were seven professors, two assistant professors and three instructors (in 1871, two of the seven professors taught languages); and by 1900 there were thirteen professors, one associate professor, two assistant professors, four permanent instructors and eleven scholarship instructors.

**George Petrie was responsible for bringing tennis and football to Auburn University and for creating the Auburn Creed. He was also the first football coach and the first dean of the Graduate School.

DEPARTMENT HEADS AND CHAIRS OF FOREIGN LANGUAGES:

  • Stubbs, William C. (1871-72): School of Modern Languages
  • Dunklin, John T. (1871-72): School of Greek and Latin Languages and Literatures
    • (1883-84): Dept. of Latin Lang. and Lit.
    • (1884-86): Dept. of Latin Lang. and History
  • Thach, Charles C. (1883-84): Dept. of Modern Languages
    • (1884-86): Dept. of Modern Langs. and English Lit.
    • (1886-91): Dept. of English and Latin
  • Fleming, W. S. (1886-87): Dept. of Modern Langs. and History
  • Petrie, George (1887-89): Dept. of Modern Langs. and History
    • (1892-1922): Dept. of History and Latin
  • Barnwell, Charles H. (1889-92): Dept. of Modern Langs. and History
  • Ross, Charles H. (1892-99): Dept. of Modern Languages
  • Faulkner, Thomas G. (1899-1900): Dept. of Modern Languages
  • Wiatt, John E. (1900-18): Dept. of Modern Languages
  • Atkinson, Thomas P. (1918-22): Dept. of Modern Languages
    • (1922-54): Dept. of Foreign Languages
  • Skelton, Robert B. (1954-67): Dept. of Foreign Languages
  • Peak, J. Hunter (1967-69): Dept. of Foreign Languages
  • Posniak, Alexander P. (1969-72): Dept. of Foreign Languages
  • DiOrio, Dorothy M. (1972-78): Dept. of Foreign Languages
  • Henkels, Robert M. (1978-82): Dept. of Foreign Languages
  • Perricone, Catherine R. (1982-84): Dept. of Foreign Languages
  • Helmke, Henry C. (1984-87): Dept. of Foreign Languages
  • Buck, Donald C. (1987-88): Dept. of Foreign Languages
  • Glaze, Linda S. (1988-92): Dept. of Foreign Languages
    • (1992-95): Dept. of Foreign Languages and Literatures
  • Madrigal, José A. (1995-2001): Dept. of Foreign Languages and Literatures
  • Gramberg, Anna-Katrin (2001-2005): Dept. of Foreign Languages and Literatures
  • Madrigal, José A. (Interim Chair Jan-May 2005): Dept. of Foreign Languages and Literatures
  • Weigel, Robert (Interim Chair May-Dec 2005, Chair 2006-2011): Dept. of Foreign Languages and Literatures
  • Betanzos, Lourdes (2011-Present): Dept. of Foreign Languages and Literatures

Last Updated: August 14, 2015