Kathleen Hale, PhD, is a professor of political science at Auburn University where she directs its Election Administration Initiative and Graduate Program in Election Administration. She teaches courses in election administration, qualitative methods, and intergovernmental relations, and her research examines how to improve capacity of government and nonprofit organizations to address public problems. Hale also directs Auburn’s partnership with The Election Center (National Association of Election Officials) to professionalize the public administration of elections through its national certification program.
election administration, intergovernmental relations
Books in Print
- King, Bridgett and Kathleen Hale (Eds.). 2016. Why Don't Americans Vote? Causes and Consequences. Denver, CO: ABC-CLIO.
- Hale, Kathleen, Robert Montjoy, and Mitchell Brown. 2015. Administering Elections: How American Elections Work. Palgrave MacMillan Press.
- Brown, Mitchell and Kathleen Hale. 2014. Applied Research Methods in Public and Non-Profit Organizations. San Francisco, CA: Wiley/Jossey-Bass.
- Baker, Barbara, Kathleen Hale, and Giovanna Summerfield (Eds.) 2013. Scholarship in Action: Communities, Leaders, and Citizens. Chicago, IL: Common Ground/World Universities Forum.
- Hale, Kathleen. 2011. How Information Matters: Networks and Public Policy Innovation. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.
- Hensley, Thomas R., with Kathleen Hale and Carl Snook. 2006. The Rehnquist Court: Justices, Rulings and Legacy, Denver, CO: ABC-CLIO.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Hale, Kathleen. 2017. NASPAA: The Public Administration Process and Approach Toward Accreditation. Journal of Nonprofit Education and Leadership. Special Issue on NACC Accreditation Symposium.
- Hale, Kathleen. 2013. Understanding Nonprofit Transparency: Formal and Normative Practice in the American Nonprofit Sector. International Review of Public Administration 18 (3 ): 9-27.
- Hale, Kathleen and Mitchell Brown. 2013. Adopting, Adapting, and Opting Out: State Response to Federal Voting System Guidelines. Publius, The Journal of Federalism 43 (3): 428-451.
- Hale, Kathleen and Ramona McNeal. 2011. Technology, Politics, and E-Commerce: Internet Taxation and Interstate Cooperation. Government Information Quarterly 28 (2): 262-270.
- Hale, Kathleen and Ramona McNeal. 2010. Election Administration Reform and State Choice: Voter Identification Requirements and HAV A. Policy Studies Journal 38 (2): 281-302.
- McNeal, Ramona and Kathleen Hale. 2010. E-Disclosure of Campaign Finance Infonnation: Divergent Interests in the States. Journal of Information Technology & Politics 7 (1):1-15.
- Hale, Kathleen and Christa Daryl Slaton. 2008. Building Capacity in Election Administration: Responding to Complexity and Interdependence. Public Administration Review 68 (5): 839-849.
- McNeal, Ramona, Kathleen Hale and Lisa Dotterweich. 2008. Citizen-Government Interaction and the Internet: Expectations and Accomplishments in Contact, Quality and Trust. Journal of Information Technology and Politics 5 (2): 213-229.
- McNeal, Ramona, Mary Schmeida and Kathleen Hale. 2007. E-Disclosure Laws, Public Information and Electronic Campaign Finance Reform. Government Information Quarterly 24 (2): 312-325.
- Mossberger, Karen and Kathleen Hale. 2002. Polydiffusion in Intergovernmental Programs: Information Diffusion in the School-To-Work Network. American Review of Public Administration 32 (4): 398-422.