Department of Communication Disorders

How to Apply to the CMDS Major

Student studying with other students.

The Department of Communication Disorders offers a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Communication Disorders,, which prepares students to pursue graduate education in Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology, leading to attainment of the Certificate of Clinical Competence and State Licensure in their area of specialty.

As you apply for admission to our undergraduate program in Communication Disorders, please consider the following important factors:

  • You must go on to graduate school and complete your master’s degree to obtain employment in the full range of work settings in our field (e.g., hospitals, private practice, rehabilitation centers, public school systems).
  • The job market for those earning masters degrees is currently excellent and is projected to remain so for the next few decades.
  • Competition for admission to graduate school in Communication Disorders is more intense than for admission to undergraduate major.
  • There are some 225 graduate programs in Communication Disorders in the United States accredited by the Council on Academic Programs (CAA); however, the competition for admission is high in all of them.
  • Students approaching graduate school should apply to as many programs as possible to ensure acceptance (i.e., do not just apply to Auburn or one or two other places).
  • A student with a 3.5 GPA or higher and a combined score of 300 on the verbal and quantitative subtests of the GRE should be eligible for acceptance into a graduate program. (Students should consider taking the GRE early so that they have the opportunity to retake the examination and improve their score if it is not high enough.)

Last Updated: November 20, 2015