Agency or Organization Name: The Depot (Auburn, AL)
Number of Internships: (2) Two available internships for the Fall and Spring semesters
Open Dates: Spring 2022
Website of Organization: www.allaboardauburn.com
Instagram of Organization: instagram.com/theauburndepot
Katelyn Kupiec, General Manager, The Depot
Monica Simpson-Ayan, Director of Public Relations & Marketing
Restaurant Telephone: 334-521-5177
Physical Address: 124 Mitcham Ave. Auburn, AL
Brief description of the company, including a description of the department or unit in which the
intern will work:
Plating up Auburn’s finest and freshest seafood, the Depot is a modern grilled gulf coastal brasserie in
Auburn’s Historic Train Depot. With a globally inspired menu by Executive Chef & Co-
Simpson, The Depot is elevating the cuisine in Auburn. The Depot is proud to be the first restaurant in the
state of Alabama to receive the prestigious James Beard Smart Catch Leader Award for their commitment to
serve sustainable and responsible seafood. Six-year winner of the Wine Spectator Excellence award, The
Depot features an internationally recognized wine program featuring award-winning varieties from around
the globe. The food echoes from the past also honoring Alabama’s southern heritage and is cooked simply
and spectacularly. Simple and spectacular, these are the principles of the Depot.
In your role as an intern you will work closely with our General Manager and Director of Marketing to gain
experience in the roles of social media, public relations, community engagement, communications, media
relations, and digital marketing.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about the hospitality industry, knowledgeable on
social media, connected to the local community, and eager to get hands-on experience working in
PR and Marketing for one of Alabama’s most celebrated and top-rated restaurants!
Intern’s primary responsibilities. How will the intern develop professionally during the experience?
- We are looking for someone excited to garner on the job training in their public relations and
marketing for food and beverage and hospitality.
- Excellent at communicating through written, verbal and visual channels
- Proficient in social media platforms: Instagram, Facebook
- Creative and artistic
- A natural storyteller
- Strong understanding of what messages will resonate with influencers
- Interested in restaurants and seafood
- Extremely organized, results-driven, analytical, and hungry to learn new things and eat good food!
We will work with the intern to
- Help them understand and secure local and national media coverage, particularly focusing on the
hospitality industry in the Southern Market
- Learn to develop relations with press, specifically those that cover hospitality, food, and beverage
- Get hand-ons social media training including community management, content creation and
- Work with the local tourism bureau to understand tourism outreach and planning
- Deepen knowledge of Southern food, beverage, travel and lifestyle influencers
- Work on media pitches, press releases, and alerts
- Work on company email newsletters and community management for various campaigns as assigned
- Learn to understand how marketing and PR work together to accomplish campaigns and objectives
- Ideate, write, edit, and execute press kits, pitches and press releases that achieve measurable goals
- Brainstorm on creative content for social channels including Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Provide input on our digital brand strategy
- Brainstorm and help plan community events (farmer’s market, wine dinners, pop-ups, etc)
- Work on projects as needed (holiday planning, event outreach)
- Working with a fantastic, tight team of hospitality and marketing pros who are passionate about our
industry and guests
Will the intern be compensated?
No, compensation for accredited internships.
Last Updated: September 14, 2021