Outlook Mailbox Quota set to 5GB
A CLA user received the following email asking our office if this was an example of spam or a phishing scheme. We sent it to OIT security and found out it is not spam although the email has many of the features of a typical spam message. It is a warning that your email storage is approaching the 5GB quota.
Now this user must manage their mailboxes to remove large emails that are no longer needed. Depending on the system you use to read email the process of pulling a storage report is different.
Outlook 2011 (Mac)
Note: Outlook 2011 does not show how much storage space you have left; it only shows how big your folders are. You can check your actual quota in Outlook Web App (OWA), see below.
To check your usage in Outlook 2011:
- In the "Mail Folders" list, right-click your Exchange mailbox. From the drop-down menu, choose Folder Properties....
- Click the Storage tab to view the size of each folder on the server.
Outlook 2010 (PC)
To determine your space usage in Outlook 2010, click the File tab and, if necessary, select Info in the left column. The "Mailbox Cleanup" section will display how much space you are using in your mailbox.
For a detailed list displaying the size of each folder in your mailbox:
- In the "Mailbox Cleanup" section, click Cleanup Tools.
- Select Mailbox Cleanup from the drop-down list.
- Click View Mailbox Size... .
- Your total usage is listed beside "Total Size (including subfolders)", with each folder's size below the total.
Outlook Web App (OWA) http://cas.auburn.edu
Note: OWA has the same functionality across major browsers in most cases. For help using OWA, with your Inbox displayed, click ? (the question mark) at the top right.
If you are in the Premium interface for Outlook Web App (OWA):
- In the lower left of the window, on the navigation bar, click Mail to make sure you are in the correct view.
- In the mailbox Folder List mouse over your name. A small box with your storage information will appear.
Note: Mac Mail does not show how much storage space you have left; it only shows how big your folders are. You can check your actual quota in Outlook Web App (OWA), see above.
To check your usage in Mac Mail:
- Right Click on your Auburn inbox and choose, Get Account Info
- The report will show the size of each folder on the server, and the grand total at the bottom.
Content release date: Monday, November 04, 2013