Alabama and the Great War in France
July 26-28, 2018
Join other Alabamians in France for three days of guided activities to discover, experience, and commemorate Alabama’s contribution to World War One.
Wednesday, July 25: Arrive to Château-Thierry, France
Thursday, July 26: Tour of ABMC Aisne Marne Cemetery, Belleau Wood Marine Memorial & Chateau-Thierry American Memorial
Visit one of the battlefields that shaped Alabama writer William March’s experience, resulting in the novel Company K, an American classic on the experience of war.
Friday, July 27: Visit to the Musée de la Grande Guerre in Meaux
Only a 45-minute drive from Château-Thierry, the Great War Museum in Meaux opened in 2011 to incredible reviews. The day will include presentations from Alabamians on Alabama and the Great War; a presentation of a Croix Rouge Farm Memorial maquette to the museum; and a battlefield and monument tour.
Saturday, July 28: Centennial Commemoration of the Battle of Croix Rouge Farm
- Morning: Centennial commemoration ceremony at the Oise-Aisne American cemetery.
- Noon to 3 pm: WWI Festival on the square at the town of Fère-en-Tardenois.
- Afternoon: A centennial commemoration ceremony at the Rainbow Division memorial, followed by a jazz concert.
- Night: "Sons et Lumières" at the French monument commemorating the 2nd Battle of the Marne: the Phantoms of Landowski.
The trip is coordinated by Dr. Mark Wilson, Auburn University, and Dr. Ruth Truss, University of Montevallo; with assistance from Dr. Monique Seefried, United States World War One Centennial Commission.
All reservations, expenses, and transportation will be on-your-own, but for those who would prefer not to drive a rental car, we will work to coordinate a carpool from the hotel for each of the three days of activities.
A small block of rooms is available at Hotel Ibis Château-Thierry at a very reasonable rate. The rate is NOT available through their online booking. Instead, please follow these steps:
1. Email Julien @ firstname.lastname@example.org and reserve your room. Most of us will check in Wednesday, July 25 and check out Sunday, July 29. The room block covers those dates.
2. Before January 26, call Julien at 33-3-23-83-10-10 to give him your credit card over the phone. You could email him your credit card instead of calling, if you are comfortable doing that.
3. Cancellation is free up to 7 days prior to arrival. Past this date the total amount of the stay would be charged in case of cancellation.
Last Updated: February 21, 2018