FACTS ABOUT FOREIGN LANGUAGES AT AUBURN UNIVERSITY
by J. A. Madrigal
Foreign Languages have been taught at Auburn University since the institution opened its doors October 1, 1859 (The University was chartered in 1856 as a private liberal arts college, but it did not hold classes until 1859). Latin and Greek were the two original offerings at the old East Alabama Male College. They, as well as all other disciplines taught, were not under any specific department as it is now (only exception was in AY 1871-72, a year in which subjects were also grouped under different schools). Instead, they were required subjects in all four Courses of Instruction: Literature, Agriculture, Science and Civil Engineering. Also, these two languages were included in a fifth course, called the Preparatory Class, for students who were imperfectly prepared to enter the university.
Last Updated: November 21, 2013